1.26.2009

Jonah and Me

I've been reading the book of Jonah for the past few weeks. I know what you're thinking, "really, the book is only four chapters!" But like the good seminarian that I am, I've been trying to take my time and let the book speak to my life and what is going on. It's been a weird set of events that has led me to believe that a little Jonah was exactly what I needed in my life at this point. Here are some highlights!

1. 1:10-12 & various verses through chapter 2; we can't blame others for what is going on in our life. Jonah knew he was running away from God and that blaming others would do him no good. We have to own our mistakes and our situations in life. We choose to run so accept the consequences. We have to take the hit and move on! Even after being swallowed by the whale, Jonah owned his makes and praised God from the belly of the beast. At the end of chapter 2 (verse 8) Jonah, in his prayer, says, "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs". Oh the sufficient grace we pass when we run from God.

2. 4:10-11; in the midst of complaining and being angry at God because He has refused to bring punishment to Nineveh, God again shows his all-encompassing knowledge by bringing and taking away a vine for comfort for Jonah. After this, God says, "You have been concerned about this vine, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. But Nineveh has ore than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left, and many cattle as well. Should I not be concerned about that great city?" BOOM!! Wow, what a great question for the church today. It's a great statement toward tending the flock. We have no reason to get angry at those we have not attempted to help and become community with.

These passages have hit home simply because I (as I am sure you are) are selfish. We don't want to admit our faults and we want God to punish those who hurt us but we don't want to accept the same. "Have you any reason to be angry?" What a great question we should ask ourselves each time we feel like we have been hurt.

I'm not sure if this is what you take away from the passage but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments: